Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Musical Reflections

I remember several years ago hearing Ruth Dow (Zack's wife) say that the older she got, the more she gravitated toward country music. At the time I thought that sounded strange, as I had always vowed to stay current with music and not become old in my tastes. However, as time marches on, I too find that country becomes more and more appealing. Don't get me wrong, I still like a good rock and roll song from time to time. It's just that country songs are ones that I can relate to more easily, for the most part. I'm not talking about the stereotypical twang about your wife leaving and getting drunk, though some of those are still out there. Country has come a long way in my opinion. There are lots of songs about family life and real down home roots, etc., that strike a cord with me. My kids hate to admit liking anything country, but that's what they're usually exposed to in the car when I'm driving, which is almost all the time. Some fairly new songs that I especially love are "I'm Still a Guy" by Brad Paisley, "My Front Porch Looking In" by Lonestar, "You're Gonna Miss This" by Trace Adkins, and "I've Been Watching You" by Rodney Atkins. Some country songs are likable just because they're so funny, like "I'm Still a Guy," but others have deeper meaning and even make me cry sometimes. George Strait's "I Saw God Today" is excellent, as is "Moments" by Emerson Drive. If you're not inclined to listen to country music, check out a few of these and tell me what you think. To me it's just feel-good stuff that evokes feelings of family, religion, and rural community life which is what my life is all about.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

All those good titles make me want to turn on a radio if I had one. Enjoyed your entry.

andalucy said...

Hi! I found you, Suz! I just found out today that you guys all have blogs and it's been really fun getting a Dow fix. What an enormous bunch of cute children you all have! I look forward to seeing your 'uns this summer.

I have to admit that I went searching first for Mum and Dad Dow's blog, hoping to learn of their Armenia adventures. There was nothing on their blog and I haven't seen anything on the Dow progeny blogs either. I see that your mom commented here on April 16, so I assume she has computer access. Well, I want some Armenia photos! I want to know what's going on there. Do you mind passing that on to her?

Thanks!

Love,
Linds